Tuesday 12 November 2019

Nov 11/19


The progress on this baby blanket is slow, at best. Somehow, having both the energy and the inspiration to stitch is a rare combination these days. There is no regularity to my work schedule as I travel around the Ottawa region to cover shifts. Getting up at 5:30am to be in Brockville for an 8am start or working until midnight and then driving an hour back to Ottawa can take its toll. Today was a good stitchy day after we came home from the Remembrance Day ceremonies in Manotick. Snow was threatening all day and finally started late afternoon so it was a lovely day to curl up on the couch with the dogs, sip coffee and stitch.

There is a fair bit of back stitching and satin stitching on this quilt. My satin stitching is super rusty so there will be no close ups of that work. I love how the lettering pops with the back stitching here as I worked with a few shades of orange, my favourite colour. I will get more practise with my satin stitching when my next Amazon order arrives. Recently, I learned of a pattern style known as zenbroidery, a sort of colouring for stitchers. The patterns are stamped and the stitcher can play with colour and embroidery techniques. Before I fell down the rabbit hole of cross stitch, embroidery was a passion of mine and there are a few pieces that I stitched as a kid somewhere in one of my boxes.

The fella' does not know how much yarn I carried back from a recent trip to New Brunswick. My mom is downsizing and moving from a house to an apartment so yours truly brought back part of her yarn collection. He also does not know about the book on making cards and gift tags that I picked up at a used book sale back home or the 2 cross stitch patterns coming in the mail. In fact, he helped me with my luggage and failed to notice that the cloth shopping bag I used as a carry-on bag was stuffed full of yarn. He claims to not understand, but a quick glance at the tools and gadgets in our basement reveals that he so very much does.

Happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment