Friday 1 January 2021

Jan 1, 2021

 Here we are in a fresh new year. I honestly don't know where to begin about last year beyond summing it up simply as 2020 and leaving it at that. There is just so much baggage and garbage to unpack that I am just going to look forward into 2021 and let the chips fall behind me where they will fall.

I hope to get back into stitching and gaining my life back or at least living a happier and healthier version than what I was living as a healthcare worker in 2020. My medicine pack is full of vitamins that I take every day to try to avoid getting sick or run down as I deal with stressful shift after stressful shift and curl up on my couch fully and completely exhausted. My partner has been shouldering the load at home because he has been home for months while his employer figures out how to operate under the public health regulations of each province and the country and those of other countries. That support system heads out overseas next week for 6 months so who knows how things are going to go for me in 2021 as I work and look after our critters, one of whom developed a pituitary/hormone disease as the world crashed to a halt in March. Thanks to the pandemic, I don't expect to see my partner again in person until late July.

My stitchy bug was woken up by some posts I saw yesterday about thread journaling where people embroider a little each day for a full year. There are so many variations and themes and ideas that caught my attention and I could not get it out of my head after joining a group on facebook where people share their designs, ideas and work. After hours of mulling things over, I finally came up with this:


The story behind this piece is that the fella' is heading out next weekend and the fabric is from one of his old uniform shirts. My plan is to use a different colour family each month while working from top to bottom with french knots, back stitching, straight stitches and whatever else feels right at the time. Somehow, I will also stitch in "2021" either as the numbers or perhaps spelled out and somehow represent the months either with their first letter or the full word as the colours change. I felt a bit inadequate in not having a fully thought out plan after looking at some of the other pieces where people have all kinds of designs drawn out for each month, but this is my piece and my life so it remains to be seen how things will turn out! Fingers crossed that my stitchy bug stays motivated and creative in the coming months as I try to stay sane, cheerful and without complaint.

Happy stitching!






 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment